Our beautiful Nativity figurines appear every year and are displayed beneath the altar during the Season of Christmas.
They are made from Italian Alabaster and consist of Mary, Joseph and the Christchild lying in the crib.There are three wise men and three shepherds, one with a dog and another with a flute and the animals are a donkey and a cow.
The photo above shows the Nativity Scene from 1982
The Nativity set was donated to St Peter's in memory of Donald MacDougal Anderson who attended St Peter's whilst he was a lecturer in English at the new Palmerston North University College from 1960. Donald passed away on 21 May 1961 and his widow Margaret Anderson donated the figurines to "the church he loved" before she returned to England.
Image scanned from a photograph appearing on the vestry noticeboard
The Fisherfolk A History of the Church of Saint Peter 1902-2002 by the Reverend Thomas Stanley, pp 119-121